I'd much rather read than write so it's not much of a blog...

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Kitchen Glass

I've never been a fan of Pyrex. For a while I thought it was me, that I was just clumsy and couldn't keep from chipping anything made of Pyrex. Then several years ago I stumbled across a glass casserole that was made in France and to this day, despite frequent use, it remains intact.

I came to understand that all heat-proof glass is not the same. For some reason the Pyrex sold in the US is made of soda-lime glass while European Pyrex is made of borosilicate glass.

I wanted to replace my US-Pyrex measuring cups with borosilicate versions and I finally found some online at The Container Store. The first 2-cup beaker had the markings placed too low for accuracy. The Container Store sent another, one with markings too high on the beaker. In the photo each measuring cup holds 8oz of water.

Really, what's the point in making measuring cups if they aren't going to measure anything?