Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Tyranny of Technology

Beautiful, sunny but bitterly cold, 6º/-15º, not the best morning to be sitting here at the desk on the drafty porch, making my first blog entry on the new MacMini with the new display. I love the porch windows but right now I'd rather be looking at the wall and the heat register in front of my desk in the kitchen where I still have my iMac.

The past month has been dominated by the tyranny of technology. I love my 6-year-old iMac and it works just fine but it's no longer supported by Apple and the list of things I can't do with it keeps growing. As I was trying to decide about something new before the end of '08, Mozilla informed me that they were no longer supporting my version of Firefox so I took that as a sign.

I still can't believe Apple can't/won't rebuild my iMac and that they generate so much e-waste but at least I've been able to avoid another integrated machine this time with the MacMini. That still however has lead to more decisions about a display, keyboard & mouse, speakers and an inordinate amount of time on the phone upgrading & reorganizing the phone & DSL service.

Meanwhile there's been the digital television rigamaroll: the coupons, the converter boxes, the discovery that the antenna has to be on the other side of the living room in order to get the fragile, finicky signals and then there's no way to record anything on the VCR because all the channels are now three digit numbers! All this so we can get the same lousy programming plus three or four versions of weather radar.