Monday, March 16, 2009

Erin Go Bragh

Poor Ireland. I guess they're really takin' it in the shins after being caught up in the financial smoke & mirrors of the past decade. I myself got a warning lesson from the old country when I returned a sweater to Cash's a few days before Waterford announced it was going into receivership. Now I guess I'm at the end of a very long list of creditors but I remember that every time I consider buying something else.

In honor of St. Paddy's Day I made soda bread with an adapted version of the Landmark Tavern recipe. The Landmark was a great place to eat when we lived in NJ and used to take the ferry from Weehawken to NYC especially when we took out-of- town guests on the Circle Line tour. We used to eat so much bread that we couldn't finish our meals.

The week ahead is looking good in CNY; we've had several days of sunny, dry weather and there's only a modest chance of precip in the forecast. I should be able to get some fava beans sowed before the end of the month and a bed of mesclun started under cover.